I've noticed sometimes when I get problems like listed earlier this day (finicky CD/DVD ejecting & unmounting permissions), I get jerky motion when I finally am able to play something like an .avi off the mounted disc. I can stop Kaffiene and even pkill it, but it still continues. The problem stops if I reboot and run the .avi off the cd/dvd again.
Any idea what's going on in the background here? Is there another process I have to kill, or do I simply have to wait a long time before jerkiness doesn't become an issue? Or is reboot the only solution?
Wednesday, 28 November 2007
- burned using k3b
- still showed as blank cd-rom on desktop
- used physical eject button on cd, closed drive after it opened
- tested data on cd: cd showed up with label, file opened
- tried to eject (gave error)
- tried to unmount (gave error i.e. "error: kio_media_unmounthelper unmount: /media/hdd is not in fstab")
- (light on cd-rom drive is flickering)
Solution: If I wait a couple minutes, I can then use right click->eject
I guess other apps aren't releasing permissions to the drive to preven accidental manipulation and use by other programs?
(edit: same dealie with my USB flash stick. I moved files into a directory on my desktop. Well after it was finished, I attempted to right click-> safely remove, and it gave me the same error)